Consultancy: Proposal Development Writer at Norwegian Refugee Council. Closing date: 02 Aug 2018
Experience: 3-4 years
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) has been operating in Nigeria and Cameroon, respectively since 2015 and 2017 to support such needs for displaced populations, as well as vulnerable host communities who have been affected by Boko Haram crisis. In Nigeria, NRC is currently implementing activities in Borno, Yobé and Adamawa States. In Cameroon, NRC operates in the Far North, South West, and North West regions. In both countries, NRC is providing services in Education, Food Security/Livelihoods, Information, Counseling, and Legal Assistance (ICLA), WASH, and Shelter/NFIs. To date, NRC has provided assistance to a total of 211,532 people across both countries.
Following the successful submission of a concept note in April 2018 to Agence Française de Développement (AFD), AFD has requested NRC to develop a 3-year regional cross-border programme on strengthening the resilience of displacement-affected populations in the Lake Chad Basin region. The overall objective of the project will be to support displaced-affected populations towards the search for durable solutions. NRC will focus on education, ICLA, and livelihoods/food security interventions in northeast Nigeria and the Far North of Cameroon.
NRC is recruiting a Proposal Development Writer Consultant to manage and lead all stages of the proposal development process. The overall objective of the assignment will be to ensure a complete and high quality proposal package for submission to AFD.
Scope of work
The Proposal Writer will draft and finalize the proposal (including the project narrative, budget, logical framework, and all other documents required as part of the full proposal package) in French, as well as produce an English-language version. The consultant is expected to be the lead on the development of the proposal, and drive the review process in order to bring the proposal to full completion and ensure a timely and high quality submission.
The assignment is field-based and the consultant will be expected to work no more than 15 days from NRC Nigeria’s area office based in Maiduguri, Borno State, Northeast Nigeria, liaising closely with the relevant programme teams in Nigeria, as well as remotely with the Cameroon country office. S/he should be prepared to travel to Abuja and Maiduguri to learn as much as possible about the context in the areas where the project will be implemented, including but not limited to conducting field visits (security-permitting), collecting data, and engaging with key stakeholders and partners to ensure the successful development of a high quality project proposal. The Proposal Writer is expected to work primarily independently and in a highly time-sensitive environment, as well as collaboratively with NRC’s teams in both countries.
The final version of the proposal package must be written in French. A full English-language version will also be required.
NRC Nigeria will host the consultant during the entire duration of the assignment and provide all necessary logistical support, including the provision of basic but comfortable accommodation (NRC’s guesthouse), local transport including UNHAS flights to/from Maiduguri and field sites, visa arrangements, communication, and standard security measures and protocols.
Major tasks and responsibilities
· Become familiar with NRC’s Programme Policy; Theories of Change of the key relevant core competencies; current programme strengths in Nigeria and Cameroon; compliance/regulations of AFD
· Draft/edit/finalize the proposal, in collaboration with relevant technical specialists;
· Coordinate/consolidate input and revisions of other team members into the proposal;
· Ensure that the tone, content, and design of the proposal correspond to the requirements of the donor;
· Liaise with Finance Staff to ensure coherence between narrative and budgetary elements
· Collaborate effectively and constructively with all key focal points and relevant staff, as well as regional technical specialists
· Determine all tasks necessary to prepare the proposal;
· Establish a timeline for all tasks and assign persons responsible for these tasks;
· Monitor the progress of all tasks against the timeline and make adjustments as necessary.
· Work with NRC’s finance teams to lead and finalize the budget development process and support with ensuring that the budget includes all essential project costs, as per compliance to NRC’s and AFD’s regulations.
Institutional and organizational arrangements
· Strategy and planning: Head of Programmes and Country Directors in both country offices (Nigeria and Cameroon); Regional Head of Programme Support at the regional office in Dakar; Institutional Partnership Advisor in Brussels
· Area operations: Area Managers, relevant technical specialists/Programme Development Managers
· NRC Core competencies: Regional Technical Advisors in Information Counseling Legal Assistance (ICLA), Livelihoods/Food Security LFS), and Education
The ideal candidate will have the following experience, skills, and competencies:
· An advanced university degree in social sciences, economics or other relevant field;
· Minimum 3 years of experience in a humanitarian and international development context;
· Documented experience in proposal development, grantwriting, and fundraising;
· Experience working in complex and volatile contexts;
· Experience with cross-border programming a plus
· Experience with gender mainstreaming a plus
· Excellent writing, editing, and oral communication skills in French and English; Fluent or native French speaker preferred.
· Strong organizational and coordination skills.
· Strong ability to work under pressure and short time constraints, and delivering results by deadline
· Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work well within a team.
· Managing resources to optimise results
· Empowering and building trust
· Handling insecure environments
Deliverables, Timeframe, and Duties of the Consultant
· Consultant receives the required briefings, background documents, and information on country contexts, donor rules and regulations, etc. required to complete tasks described above.
· Secure logistics support from the CO. The CO will also ensure that the relevant staff is present for support.
· Interviews with key local stakeholders, field programme staff, etc. in both Nigeria and Cameroon (remotely conducted)
1. First draft of the full proposal in French, including budget and logframe in donor templates
2. Final version of full proposal package in French in donor templates
3. Final version of full proposal package in English in donor templates
Please refer to Annex on tentative timeline (attached).
NRC will own the intellectual property rights to all materials submitted by the consultants under the contract. The consultants must therefore ensure that they have possession of any materials provided to NRC as a part of the deliverable. The rights to reproduce the reports will fall to NRC and its contracted agents. NRC will be free to reproduce the materials at will and to grant reproduction rights.
All documents should be submitted in Microsoft Word format in French. All text should be unformatted. Graphs or other graphical devices should be editable (i.e. not pictures). All references must be cited according to convention, and detailed in a bibliography, using the Harvard system as set out in the UNESCO Style Manual. All verbatim quotations must appear in quotation marks, and must not be of excessive length. All data collected under the consultancy must be submitted with the deliverables, in a widely recognised format such as Microsoft Excel.
Everything submitted to NRC must be the original work of the consultants. Any plagiarism in any form, or any other breach of intellectual property rights, will automatically disqualify the consultant from receiving any further payments under the contract by NRC, and NRC will seek to recover any payments already made.
The consultant will follow Ethical Research Involving Children guidance on the ethical participation of children. In addition, all participants in any study or other interaction will be fully informed about the nature and purpose of the interaction and their requested involvement. Informed consent must be obtained for any photographs, audio or video recordings, etc., in accordance with NRC’s policy on consent.
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications to email@example.com cc’ing firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as possible but no later than 2 August 2018. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis so it is strongly encouraged to apply as soon as possible. The full application should include:
· 1 technical offer detailing the precise combination of methods and timeframe (max 3 pages);
· 1 brief writing sample in French (max 3 pages), i.e., executive summary or abstract of a similar work previously conducted
· CV, demonstrating relevant experience/ expertise/ knowledge
· 1 financial offer (Excel) detailing all costs, including travel and time costs plus all field expenses and expenses associated with production of the deliverables (NRC will provide domestic flights, accommodation and vehicle);
· 2 references from previous clients/organizations who can testify to the quality of the Consultant’s work.
· Consultant registration number, if applicable
· Start date and mention where you found this posting.
 2018 Lake Chad Basin Humanitarian Needs and Requirement Overview. February 2018. https://reliefweb.int/sites/reliefweb.int/files/resources/LCB_HNRO_21022.... In Nigeria, 1.6 million people are internally displaced across the three worst affected states (Adamawa, Borno, and Yobe). In Cameroon, more than 87,630 Nigerians have sought refuge in the Far North; 241,030 Cameroonians have been internally displaced; and 69,730 former internally displaced persons (IDPs) have returned to their villages of origin. (https://data2.unhcr.org/en/country/cmr). In Nigeria, there are over 203,000 Nigerian refugees. (http://www.unhcr.org/nigeria-emergency.html).
HOW TO APPLY: