Assistant Representative (Programme) at FAO
Closing Date: 24 Sep, 2018 by 2:59:00 PM Location: Abuja
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Please note that Closure Date and Time displayed above are based on your personal device's date and time settings.
FAO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender and nationality.
Persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply.
All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
The incumbent may be re-assigned to different activities and/or duty stations
depending on the evolving needs of the Organization
The main aim of the FAO country offices, which are headed by an FAO Representative, is to assist governments to develop policies, programmes and projects to achieve food security and to reduce hunger and malnutrition, to help develop the agricultural, fisheries and forestry sectors, and to use their environmental and natural resources in a sustainable manner
The position is located in NIGERIA, ABUJA
The Assistant FAO Representative (Programme) reports to the FAO Representative (FAOR).
Programme development, coordination and operational assistance based on the knowledge of the local conditions, culture, language and institutions of the country of assignment.
Effective and efficient coordination and provision of the technical and operational support of the programme and project activities of the FAO Representation.
• Liaises and assists government authorities and local, national and international institutions in the areas of FAO's activities in the country and with other UN agencies. He/she may represent FAO at inter-agency meetings as required;
• Promotes the image of FAO through advocacy of the Organization's mandate, programmes, national priorities and activities including development and maintenance of communication tools such as website, press releases and publications, and support the implementation of FAO's regulatory framework (Codex Alimentarius, Code of Conduct for Responsible Fisheries, Safe Use of Pesticides, etc.) in the country;
• Coordinates the collection, consolidation and maintenance of country data on food, crops, livestock, forestry and fisheries including information on external aid in FAO's corporate systems and monitor changes in national policies affecting the agricultural sector;
• Participates in producing technical, economic and policy studies as required and developing country level development frameworks such as the Country Programming Framework (CPF) and the United Nations Development Assistance Frameworks (UNDAF);
• Participates in the identification, formulation and preparation of programme and project proposals and monitor and review the status of programme/project implementation to ensure that all operational activities are carried out in line with the work plan and the project document; identify inconsistencies and delays and, when necessary, propose corrective measures to overcome operational constraints;
• Briefs, trains and supervises lower grade level programme staff regarding all aspects of the job. Ensures adherence to procedures and work requirements and accuracy and diligence of the work provided.
• Performs other duties as required
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
National of Nigeria
Advanced University degree in agriculture, agricultural economics, forestry, fisheries, or any other field related to the work of the Organization
Two years of relevant experience in agricultural development and/or project implementation in an area of FAO's activities in the country
Working knowledge (Level C) of English
Working knowledge of the local language
• Results Focus
• Team Work
• Building effective relationships
• Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
• Work experience in more than one location or area of work, particularly in field positions is desirable
• Extent and relevance of experience in programme/project development and management
• Demonstrated understanding of the purpose and functions of the technical programme, operational guidelines and project/programme management procedures, preferably those adopted by the United Nations or FAO
• Extent and relevance of experience in the field of policy analysis relating to food and nutrition security, agriculture and rural development
• Extent and relevance of experience in the collection of country data on food, crops, livestock, forestry and fisheries
• Extent and relevance of experience in the identification, formulation and preparation of programme and project proposals as well as programme/project implementation, monitoring and review
FAO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview, processing).
Please note that FAO will only consider academic credentials or degrees obtained from an educational institution recognized in the IAU/UNESCO list.
Only language proficiency certificates from UN accredited external providers and/or FAO language official examinations (LPE, ILE, LRT) will be accepted as proof of the level of knowledge of languages indicated in the online applications.
Other similar positions may be filled from this vacancy notice and the endorsed candidates will be considered for the Employment Roster for a period of two years.
Candidates may be requested to provide performance assessments.
Candidates are requested to attach a letter of motivation to the online profile.
For other issues, visit the FAO employment website: http://www.fao.org/employment/home/en/
A competitive compensation and benefits package is offered. For information on UN salaries, allowances and benefits, click on the following link: http://www.un.org/Depts/OHRM/salaries_allowances/salary.htm
HOW TO APPLY
To apply, visit the recruitment website at Jobs at FAO and complete your online profile. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Only applications received through the recruitment portal will be considered.
Vacancies will be removed from the recruitment portal at 23:59 Central European Time (CET) on the deadline for applications date. We encourage applicants to submit the application well before the deadline date.
If you need help, or have queries, please contact: iRecruitment@fao.org
FAO IS A NON-SMOKING ENVIRONMENT